Peaceful Protest Survival Guide
For the peaceful protestors, I'm with you and support the peaceful efforts for permanent change that gives everyone equal opportunities and justice. The world has always needed this debate for positive change for all of humanity and equality for all.
Everyone should be held accountable for any injustices, including our law enforcement. Law enforcement reform has been long overdue for the world's black communities and should be done because it's the right thing to do. Not just to get an election vote.
Within this day and age, there are many ways to identify individuals. Police will use facial recognition and IMSI catchers to identify individuals at protests. This is to catch people who are looting and vandalizing, but peaceful protesters could get caught up in that search.
What is an IMSI catcher?
I've created this To-Do list to keep peaceful protestors safe.
DISCLAIMER AND LEGAL STUFF I HAVE TO PUT ON THIS: (some venting too)
For the people not being peaceful. Stop it. Your not supporting the message when you destroy property and cause violence. You only devastate your community and bring later regret on yourself. These peaceful protests are to stop the violence, not cause more. And this guide is not for you to use.
1. DO NOT USE AN IPHONE OR GOOGLE PHONE. THEY CAN BE UNLOCKED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT IF YOUR FALSELY ARRESTED FOR PEACEFUL PROTESTS. AND THEY LEAK DATA LIKE CRAZY.
2. DO NOT USE ANYTHING GOOGLE FOR ANYTHING. THEY WILL SNITCH.
3. LEAVE YOUR SMARTWATCH AND FITNESS TRACKER AT HOME. THEY'LL LEAK DATA AND YOU DON'T NEED TO COUNT YOUR STEPS THAT MUCH ANYWAY.
Now with my venting done.
Let's get you protected.
1. Leave ur phone at home and use a burner phone that you purchase with cash.
2. For activating burner phone. DO NOT activate it at home. And get a phone that requires as little information as possible. And of course, don't use real information.
3. DO NOT place the burner phone next to any of your other phones and tablets. This can be recorded through the phone towers.
4. DO NOT BRING YOUR BURNER SIM CARD HOME WHILE ACTIVE. Turn on airplane mode or turn it off and remove the battery. Placing it in the faraday bag after doing all that will confirm its blocked.
5. Use an open source Navigation App if you need GPS directions. DO NOT USE GOOGLE FOR ANYTHING.
6. Continue with the steps below.
IF YOU CANNOT GET A BURNER PHONE OR YOU COMPLETED ABOVE. FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
1. Encrypt ur phone using the android settings. Using the security settings setup a password lock screen. Use at least a 8-12 random character password for better security. DO NOT USE BIOMETRICS. By United States law, the police can force you to unlock your phone with your biometric. Using a password requires police to go through more legal loops to get your device unlocked.
2. Setup "Secure Startup" under the android security settings. It'll require a 4 digit pin.
3. If you have an mirco SD card inserted. Encrypt the mirco SD card using the android security settings.
4. Do not send plain SMS text. Have yourself and your contacts use Signal or Briar. Signal uses end-to-end encryption (I use Signal). Briar encrypts SMS messages locally on ur phone and sends it through the Tor network.
5. Use the a no log vpn (I suggest NordVPN) and select "VPN always on" and "block connections without VPN". This will protect you from any apps that'll leak information by encrypting all your phone's traffic through a possible IMSI catcher.
Some might suggest the Tor network vpn. But the Tor network encrypts your location not your data. Privacy and Anonymity are different things. (VPN = Privacy / Tor = Anonymity)
6. Disable bluetooh, NFC, WIFI, and location services. For best results, turn on Airplane mode. NOTE: GPS is still active in Airplane Mode. I would fake your GPS location at protests. Use my hacked one from here:
7. Use ObscuraCam to take photos. This automatically removes a photo's metadata and obscures faces.
8. Use image scrubber before posting any protest photos online. This will strip all the photo's metadata (never can be too cautious)
9. Use a faraday bag when you're not using your phone. Faraday bag will block all signals to your phone. For a DYI faraday bag. Use a zip lock bag, wrap and seal it with a few layers of aluminum foil. Or you can get a Mission Darkness bag on Amazon, their bags will protect your devices against EMP as well Use this faraday bag test app to confirm the signals are blocked.
DYI Faraday Protection Guide
10. DO NOT BRING YOUR BURNER SIM CARD HOME WHILE ACTIVE. Turn on airplane mode or turn it off and remove the battery. Placing it in the faraday bag after doing all that will confirm its blocked.
11. Wear a mask (not just for COVID), hat, and sunglasses. This will keep you safe from facial recognition. Wear clothes that'll make you blend in. Do not wear any logos or anything identifiable. Bring a spare set of clothes, just in case.
12. Bring plenty of hand sanitizer. When at home, take a hot shower with lots of soap. (Thanks COVID-19)
Keep up your right to peacefully protest, record everything (this is history), respect the police (there are good cops too), stay safe, and look out for one another.
BLACK LIVES MATTER
ALL LIVES MATTER.
LAW ENFORCEMENT REFORM FOR ALL.
LAW ENFORCEMENT REFORM FOR ALL.
🌏HACK THE PLANET 🌏